General

I suggest you ...

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Comparison feedback

1) Heard about Syncthing? It's a FOSS dropbox/bt sync/box/... alternative, secure, fully distributed

2) comparing to Ceph without mentioning performance? :-P You use FUSE which is a synonyme of "bound to be slow and ineffective forever" (try some real heavy duty on gluster vs. ceph, I've been there, done that, not funny) As well as ignoring CephFS.

3) I believe an interesting comparison category would be a tristate: commercial / partially free/limited feature set (foss+enterprise) / free

2 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

planned  ·  3 comments  ·  Admin →
    • Kubernetes FlexVolume

We would be interested to see Kubernetes volume support for Infinit. The FlexVolume is likely the easiest and fastest to implement

10 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Admin →
      • Non-Fuse Mounting

Similar to the "Platform Agnostic Command Line Tool" request, it would be great to be able to actually load a portion of the "Infinit volume" without using a streaming virtual filesystem.

Obviously there are some UX disadvantages when not using Fuse, but there are also a lot of advantages. Some of the primary ones being simply that you get instant, native filesystem access to files that you may need that with.

Updates would likely be done through some type of slow file change watching, which is suboptimal, but this feature is sort of a tradeoff. You gain raw FS performance…

11 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,

Thanks a lot for this suggestion. Indeed, having a streaming-based access interface such as FUSE has several disadvantages: (i) FUSE is still not a super stable technology (i) unlike mirroring technologies like Dropbox’s that clones the files locally, a streaming-based access may prevent you from accessing your files should you not be connected to the network for instance.

We have planned three things to reduces these limitations:
          – The possibility to access a volume through a synced folder (in opposition to a mounted volume) leading to a similar experience to Dropbox where all the files are cloned locally. It consumes local storage space but has the benefit of having the files available at any time. Example: infinit-volume —sync (rather than infinit-volume —mount)
          – Provide a way to spawn a local NFS/SMB server that the local computer could connect to (since all operating systems embed NFS/SMB

• Support volume quotas

Support per-volume quotas.

Right now, you can kind of achieve something similar by separating storage nodes and creating new networks with those storage nodes in order to limit the amount of data stored, but there's cases where it would be beneficial to have a single large network that has multiple volumes, each with their own quota.

6 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion Andrew.

It is indeed planned to provide quotas at the network level indeed. Unfortunately, given that our roadmap is already full for the months to come, I can guarantee you when this will be available.

Thanks.

• Google Drive support

Many of us already have existing Google Drive accounts (as well as Dropbox, OneDrive etc.) as part of other subscriptions. It'd be handy to be able to replicate to these services as an additional feature.

30 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  4 comments  ·  Admin →
            • Provide a fake S3 API

Providing an API similar to AWS S3 will make this tool compatible with *a lot* of existing software components.

This approach is already done by S3Proxy, fake-s3, Ceph, and quite a lot of cloud storage providers.

5 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

It is true that Infinit can be used as both an object- and file-based storage service.

As such, we intend to provide an S3-compatible layer. We don’t know yet we this will be available since we still have to improve the file system component.

In the meantime, you can probably achieve the same result by using Minio: http://minio.io

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base