I suggest you ...

Non-Fuse Mounting

Similar to the "Platform Agnostic Command Line Tool" request, it would be great to be able to actually load a portion of the "Infinit volume" without using a streaming virtual filesystem.

Obviously there are some UX disadvantages when not using Fuse, but there are also a lot of advantages. Some of the primary ones being simply that you get instant, native filesystem access to files that you may need that with.

Updates would likely be done through some type of slow file change watching, which is suboptimal, but this feature is sort of a tradeoff. You gain raw FS performance and UX, over perfectly consistent and updated transactions.

11 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Lee shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    planned  ·  AdminInfinit (Admin, Infinit) responded  · 

Hi,

Thanks a lot for this suggestion. Indeed, having a streaming-based access interface such as FUSE has several disadvantages: (i) FUSE is still not a super stable technology (i) unlike mirroring technologies like Dropbox’s that clones the files locally, a streaming-based access may prevent you from accessing your files should you not be connected to the network for instance.

We have planned three things to reduces these limitations:
    – The possibility to access a volume through a synced folder (in opposition to a mounted volume) leading to a similar experience to Dropbox where all the files are cloned locally. It consumes local storage space but has the benefit of having the files available at any time. Example: infinit-volume —sync (rather than infinit-volume —mount)
    – Provide a way to spawn a local NFS/SMB server that the local computer could connect to (since all operating systems embed NFS/SMB clients). With this, the NFS protocol would be used instead of FUSE, providing a more stable kernel integration. Example: infinit-volume —mount —nfs
    – Later one, we will likely develop our own FUSE-like kernel module to have better control over optimizations and stabilization.

We don’t have any ETA unfortunately given our limited resources but expect those to come to life in a near future (several months).

Hope it helps.

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Hunter commented  · 

NFS/SMB would be a useful addition. Could also be worth investigating TCMU or NBD (although that may limit client support)

• AdminInfinit (Admin, Infinit) commented  · 

It is planned. We have most of the pieces. It's now a question of priority.

People, don't hesitate to upvote this one if you want it. We will make it happen.

• Ryan Minnick commented  · 

Would much prefer option #2 - spawning a local NFS/SMB server.

Feedback and Knowledge Base